Over 1700 newspapers have been published in Rhode Island! Here’s your guide for what you can find online and in print.
At the RIHS
Rhode Island Historical Society’s Robinson Research Center is the state repository of record for historic Rhode Island newspapers. It should be your first stop to access RI newspapers on microfilm.
The collection contains all known RI newspapers from 1732 to 2010, from Westerly to Woonsocket.
The newspapers can be accessed on-site with the use of microfilm reader machines. Check the catalog for individual titles. For distance requests and specific questions please contact email@example.com
- Gazette Françoise, 1780
- Italian Echo/1’Eco d’America, 1897-2000
- Newport Mercury, 1758-2018
- Providence American, 1986-2010
- Providence Gazette, 1762-1825
- Providence Journal, 1829-2010
- Westerly Sun, 1893-2010
- Woonsocket Call, 1892-2010
As more newspapers are digitized through the RIDNP, more titles will be available online. The RIHS makes duplicates of the master microfilm available by special order, mostly to supply the collections of other R.I. libraries.
The RIHS Research Center also holds print issues of various Rhode Island newspaper titles. Inquire about specific titles or issues.
- Providence Journal Archives Database, 1983-current (available using your PPL library card)
- Providence Journal, 1829-2016
- Evening Bulletin, 1863-1995
- Manufacturing & Farmers Journal, 1820-1907
- Providence Business News, 1986-1992
- Providence Patriot, 1821 & 1824
- Providence Visitor, 1947-1948
- Rhode Island American, 1818-1821
- Rhode Island Country Journal, 1833-1893
Special Collections also holds print issues of various Rhode Island newspaper titles. Check the catalog for individual titles.
Free Online Access at Other RI Libraries
- Cranston City Times, 1921-1925
- Cranston Herald, 1936-1975
- Cranston Herald Today, 1975
- Cranston News, 1922-1939
- Cranston Herald News, 1939
- Herald News, 1939-1940
- Cranston Leader, 1889-1890
- Cranston Today, 1972-1975
- Neighborhood News, 1930-1954
- Howard Times, 1885-1905
- Pawtucket Evening Times, 1886-1890
- Pawtucket Times, 1920-1949
- Evening Times (Pawtucket), 1886-1920
- Pawtucket Tribune, 1891-1895
- Pawtucket Evening Tribune, 1897-1898
- Evening Tribune (Pawtucket), 1889-1929
Providence Journal Historical Database, 1827-current, available online in person at:
- Community College of R.I.
- Brown University
- Providence College
- Rhode Island College
- Rhode Island Historical Society Research Center
- Roger Williams University
- University of Rhode Island
National Newspaper Databases
Chronicling America – Website that provides fully searchable access to digitized newspapers for free to anyone via the Library of Congress. Currently represents newspapers from 48 U.S. states and 2 U.S. territories.
U.S. Newspaper Directory – A full list of all newspapers published in the United States since 1690. It’s a great way to find out what papers covered a particular location and time period. From there, librarians can help you find out where you could access specific titles.